Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Lesson of the Week - Ask for Help!

This has been a crazy ride, and I'm so glad that it's slowing down a little.  This week has been a great lesson for me on when to ask for help.  In some cases, I latched on to it and learned from it; in others, not so much, but Universe, I hear you!  I'm a little sad to say, actually, that I've been taught this lesson before, and it didn't stick, so please, dear God, let it stick this time.  And for you readers out there, ask for help before you need it!!!

Lesson #1 - Don't ever deposit cash into an ATM

Yes, I was that girl who drove up to the bank on Tuesday, December 11 (a.k.a. Veteran's Day) and realized that it was a bank holiday.  I had money (a huge wad of cash) I needed to get in there before I paid my mortgage on Friday (which - yes - was a little overdue, but that's a story for another time).  I turned my car toward the drive-through ATM, because I noticed the last few times I used it that they had a different system that allows you to put bills in, counts it and puts it right into your account.  That's exactly the way it happens, right?  However, on Tuesday, I dutifully counted out my 40 bills that it would allow me to put in and held on to the others for Round 2.  Round 1 was a knockout, though, and I didn't fare so well.  The ATM took my money fine, counted it so-so, decided that some of the bills were unreadable (whatever that means) and proceeded to attempt to spit my money back out at me so that I could put it back in for a second count.  My money never came back out!  And then...it cancelled my transaction.  Geesh!

I was shocked!  I had never had this happen before, the bank was closed, and I had no idea what to do.  So, I sat in front of the ATM and called the 1-800 number listed on the machine while cars behind me waited.  I could see the frustration growing on the drivers behind me, so once I was on hold, I got out of my car (still parked in front of the ATM) and walked back to let them know the situation and also to let them know that I was not leaving the ATM until I knew that it was not going to spit my money out to the lucky customer behind me.  The other drivers rolled their eyes and drove off in search of another ATM mumbling something about people being crazy enough to put cash in an ATM.

When someone finally came on the line to help me, they assured me that my money was safely inside the ATM and was not going to come back out.  They then proceeded to send me to the claims/fraud prevention department so that I could file a claim.  The lovely gentlemen in the fraud department took my information and, reading from his script, informed me that it would be up to 10 days before my account was credited if they found that my claim was accurate.  That was all the information he had, and that was all the help he was going to give me.

"What about my bills?  I have to pay my bills on Friday!"  I pleaded with the man.

To which he responded that I could pay them, and the bank may refund any overdraft fees.  MAY refund overdraft fees.  Let me get this straight, your ATM is holding my cash hostage, you're not going to give it back for 10 days (more than a week!), and you may reimburse overdraft fees if they incur?  How did this happen??  How did banks get so out of control and so distant??  I decided not to fight with the accented man on the phone and walk into the branch on Thursday to talk to someone face-to-face, mano a mano.  This was the soonest I could do it, because I work on Wednesday the same hours the bank is open.

Wednesday morning rolled around, and I couldn't resist calling the branch to check in.  The lovely woman who answered the phone listened patiently to my story and then informed me that they have no control over such things and that I would have to call the claims/fraud department at the 1-800 number.  Would I like that number?  W...T...F???  I informed her that I had already done that, and asked if they didn't have a way to get into the ATM and get my money out.  She said that even if they could, they couldn't just put my money back in my account without going through the fraud/claims department.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm glad they have these policies in place to discourage fraud, but there are some honest people in the world who are being hurt by these policies!

Then, like any scorn member of the general public, I proceeded to open my Facebook account and ask if friends had a small, local bank they used that I could switch to.  I didn't give any information about the bank, just that they were holding over $1k of my money hostage in their ATM.  Several hours later, I received a text from Beck letting me know that a friend of ours has a person at one of the other branches who said she could help and she would be there until 7. (Apparently there are still branches inside grocery stores, and they're open hours that other branches aren't.  Who knew??)  Thank goodness for social media!  The heavens opened up, the angelic choir sang, I got the info and beelined straight there after work.

The woman turned out to be the assistant manager of the branch and was incredibly helpful and informative, and ended up getting a better idea of a timeline as well as helped me get cash out to pay my mortgage.  She also asked if I needed any extra funds to tide me over until my money was back where it should be, to which I said, "I have become an expert at not spending money."  This will come back up in Lesson #2, so hold on to that for a minute.  So, Lesson #1 - Don't deposit money into an ATM also turned out to be Ask for Help!

Lesson #2 - Don't let your gas tank go below 1/8 tank!

Y'all know that little "range" feature they put on cars now that tells you how many miles you can drive before your gas tank goes dry?  Well, I live by mine.  When I was spending money as if it had no value, I made sure my tank didn't go below the 100 mile range.  When I started getting a little tighter, I cut back to the 25 mile range.  Well, when I was asked if I needed extra cash, I was at about 45 miles remaining.  I also didn't think about the fact that my account was going to be in the overdraft category until my money is back in there, which meant that I wouldn't be able to use my debit card to refill my tank.  Even when I realized that I couldn't use my card, I thought I would make it through the weekend of training and would be able to get to the gas station on Monday when my money was back or at least I could get over to get some more cash from that beautiful woman at the bank.

Thursday, I was ok.  Friday, I was down to 11 miles to go when I left for training in the morning.  It's only 4 miles to training.  I debated walking, but it was cold, and I had bags with books and so many other excuses not to.  So, I set off to the studio without thinking that I had to go home for lunch (no cash and all I had to eat needed to be warmed up).  On my way back to the studio, I actually turned the digital display to something else, told myself I had another 30 miles to go and prayed that I would make it to the studio without being stranded on the side of the road.  It worked!

During training, I couldn't stop thinking about how I was going to get home, so I texted Beck.  He had just set up a night with the niece and nephew and wasn't going to be able to pick me up from the studio because he had to run home first.  I then texted my mom, whom I've been desperately trying to convince that I was okay and making it on my own and didn't need help.  In my mind, by sending this text, I was admitting defeat.  It was one of the hardest texts I've had to send.  And, of course, her response was that she would absolutely help me however she could.  She showed up at the studio at 6 pm with a gas can and some cash for me to go to the gas station on my way home and a little extra in case I needed it.  That woman is a saint!  She doesn't like driving at night, and she did that for me because I was too proud to ask for help before I needed it.  She works her butt off at a job where she doesn't get paid anywhere near what she's worth, because she loves what she does, and she willingly handed over cash to me.  All because she loves me unconditionally.  I just wish I could have asked for help before it was so pressing.  So, Lesson #2 - Don't let your gas tank get below 1/8 tank is also a mama's love is unconditional and ask for help before you need it.

Lesson #3 - Talk to your roommate!

My roommate is amazing!  We have a great relationship.  We both bake, so there's more flour in this condo than any two people should rightly possess.  He has cats and takes really good care of mine when I'm not here.  He loves live music and loves sharing that with people close to him.  He exposed me to Bonnaroo (a.k.a. The Land of Happy).  And he took me in when I wanted to be back in Nashville.  He doesn't judge anyone and tells it straight, regardless of who he's talking to.  He's authentic and bold and just really pretty refreshing in a world of people pleasers and ladder climbers.  Before and while we've lived together, I've talked to him about everything except finances.  When I realized that I was behind on the majority of my bills and not really sure how I was going to catch back up, I started exploring the idea of moving in with my parents just to catch up.  The idea of telling him made me feel sad and nervous.  The idea of moving again made me feel sad and a little stressed.  When I finally got up the nerve to tell my roommate that I was going to have to move out, he offered me options that would help me catch up and be able to stay in what has become my home.  Like I said, he's amazing!  So, Lesson #3 - Talk to your roommate became yet another example of how it's ok to ask for help.

Lesson #4 - Ask for Help from the Angels!

I have learned over the last few years that the Law of Free Will prevents the angels from helping unless we ask for it and also to speak about it as if it's already there.  Even braced with that knowledge, I still forget to ask for help sometimes.  I was reminded twice this weekend at training that I can ask for help with my finances.  The Kundalini way of asking for help is through meditation.  The Meditation for Prosperity (II) was brought up to me twice by two different people in two completely different circumstances this weekend, so I decided to add it to my daily sadhana.  I started it yesterday morning, and already yesterday afternoon, I received messages that my finances were improving.  Remember Doreen Virtue's Angel Numbers from my previous post?  Well, this is what I saw on the license plate in front of me at the stop light last night!

A beautiful sign from the Angels that all is well!

Today, I received a request from a friend to house-sit.  I also received guidance yesterday that I need to revise my yoga resume and distribute it to studios to get more classes on the books.  I was given the time today to do that.  I had a referral for a private yoga client last week.  I am forming a new relationship with the Nashville Center for Alternative Therapies.  I am teaching the refugee and immigrant children yoga twice this week.  So, Lesson #4 - Ask for Help from the Angels becomes ask for help and you shall receive it.  Just listen to and follow the guidance they provide!

I'm so grateful for all of these lessons!  I'm grateful for my increased cash flow, and I'm grateful for the medium to share these lessons and knowledge with you.  Thank you so much for sticking with me through all of this!  It was a long one!  I hope you've enjoyed it, and maybe there's a lesson for you in there somewhere.

There will be no RunYogaLove this weekend while Beck and I are taking a trip to northern Georgia to celebrate one year together.  I am so in love with this man! I'll be back at it on November 29, so join me to burn off the calories from Thanksgiving!

Much love,
Emily Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment