Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Why Combine Running and Yoga??

These are just some musings that I had this morning as I lie in bed with my crystals focusing on my breathing.  I hope you enjoy!

I think a lot of people understand the benefits of yoga for a runner, but I'm not sure everyone understands the benefit of running for yogis (a person who practices yoga for you not-quite-yogis-yet).  I'll start by discussing the benefits of yoga for runners if you're not quite there yet.  Running (or walking) is so good for your body in many ways, but it can also take its toll if you do it a lot.  

Here are a few examples of why yoga is good for runners!

©      If you favor one foot or leg over the other, you may build up one side of your body more than the other, causing your bones to be misaligned and leading to injuries.  Practicing yoga can help balance that back out, and while it may or may not change your gait, it will certainly allow you to continue running and doing what you love.
©      If you’re running every day, your body is going to get fatigued in one way or another.  Even if you’re stretching before and after a run, our muscles get tight and start to pull at our bones and can lead to injury.  Yoga lengthens and tones those muscles to better allow them to propel us along the trail, road, sidewalk or greenway.
©      Yoga can greatly increase the muscle recovery after a run.  A true yogic breath draws so much oxygen into the body that will be carried to the muscles and allow them to recover that much faster.  Plus, if you add the yoga poses to that breath, it helps the oxygen get to those muscles!
©      Yoga can get deep into those muscles that you might not get to with regular runners’ stretches or doing your 10 minute stretch session after your run.  That’s right, I used to be one of those people, and still am occasionally…

Ok, now why is running good for yogis??

©      Running is grounding.  Yep, those feet hitting the pavement can actually draw the energy down and allow you to be more present in your body.  So, if you find yourself a little spacey (and no offense to yogis everywhere, but a lot of us are), head out for a nice walk or run and see how that changes your outlook.
©      Running or walking can be a meditation.  I found myself running along the trail at Percy Warner Park recently repeating one of my kundalini mantras to myself and then out loud as I ran along.  Sat-ah-nam-ah, sat-ah-nam-ah, sat-ah-nam-ah….ooohhh…I feel better already!  Other things I’ve practiced on my runs were breathing in for a certain number of steps and then out for a certain number of steps.
©      Running naturally deepens the breath and helps to expand lung capacity.  So, if you find yourself struggling with the deep breathing exercises in yoga, head out on the trail or the road and notice how deep you have to breathe as you increase your heart rate.
©      Running can get you out in nature.  I have recently taken up trail running.  It is the most amazing things I have done for myself.  Running on the road is fun and all, but running in nature gives me a high that I have never found anywhere else in my life.  And who doesn’t need to spend more time in nature??
©      Running allows you to see things you may not notice otherwise.  Look up at the sky or at that beautiful tree as you run by.  Oh, I’ve never noticed that house or the way the hill slopes down to that beautiful creek.  Talk about being present…I have found myself so present in life on so many of the runs I’ve taken lately.  Such a beautiful thing when you are aware of the things around you!
©     Running can free your inner child!  I love running downhill.  I go fast.  I skip over obstacles.  I open my arms out to the side as if I’m flying.  Even in my childhood, I don’t remember being that free.  I fall so in love with everything.  I giggle.  I play.  I love.


I hope you enjoy this!  I’m sure there will be more to come.  Go forth and run, yoga, and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment